I talk a lot about things like business online, investments, and savings. And yes, those things have been hugely important to my personal and business growth, but they are not indicative how everything started for me online.
People talk a lot about online marketing, but sometimes isn’t very clear or even create only confusion.
Marketing is simply:
A form of communication between you and your customers with the goal of selling your product or service to them.
This blog that you are reading right now, is a tool to communicate between the two of us.
Cool, isn’t it?
Blogging has helped me to grow my email a list and connecting with my audience. I also believe blogging is the most powerful way to communicate online, and if you’re serious about creating an online business, you should consider “blogging”.
But why it’s so important to communicate effectively:
- It helps to connect with your audience.
- Produce engagement and followers.
- Build authority.
- It’s essential to make sales, so making your website a business.
Yes. All of that. Crazy, right?
So, in this post, I’m deep diving into web communication. And specifically, how to excel at it so that you get all of the benefits out of your blog.
To be more specific, I’m covering four important communication component:
- Opt-in offers.
- Irresistible autoresponder e-mails.
- Promotional articles and blog posts.
- Online ads and banners.
Without these components working in synergy (oh, big word), your career online has no legs.
So, let’s see, step-by-step, through how to write a killer copy and then use each communication component to grow your online empire.
1#. THE OPT-IN OFFER: YOUR MOST IMPORTANT ASSET
Ho yea! Rarely a visitor visiting your website for the first time is going to buy from you. So, the best way is give away a free ebook, reports, check list or anything useful to your target audience, and in exchange get their email address.
The reason is you want to build a relationship and rapport with your visitors. Only then, you can sell your products. There’s no shame in sharing something super valuable that both helps your readers and grows your business.
Think for a minute – all your effort to bring visitors to your website and… you let them go without even attempting to get their email address. Ouch!
I can’t overemphasize that constructing your opt-in offer is infinitely more important than creating the offer of your products.
Out of ideas? Think to provide benefits that give visitors an incentive to give you their e-mail address.
An example; let’s say you sell orange squeezing machines. You might write an article about the health properties of oranges, and as opt-in offer a booklet with “My 3 best orange smoothie recipes for a healthy lifestyle”.
BOOM! You’ve created an irresistible opt-in offer related to your post and product. You see, this an effective way (in my opinion the best way) to communicate with your visitors and convert them into buyers.
Five Keys To An Attractive Opt-in Offer
I already mention benefits, but here are four more elements to make your opt-in offer impossible to refuse:
- Must have a compelling title that speaks to the needs of your target audience.
- It must provide a solution to ONE problem.
- Offer a bribe as instant gratification (offer a download, voucher or free software). It must be quick and simple. Something that your visitor could instantly apply.
- It must be constant with your overall message (Principle of Relevancy).
Since your objective to create an opt-in offer is to get your visitors to subscribe. Yes or yes? Then, offer something so sexy, irresistible and unique that people can’t wait to get their hands on.
Also consider to make easy for your visitors to get your download. I get irritated when I’ve to confirm my e-mail, and then waiting to receive another email with link. Do you think your readers will appreciate all that futile work? and don’t forget to add the email
It might be better to redirect your visitors immediately to the download page after catching their information. And don’t forget to follow up with an email sequence to build rapport with your new friend.
2#. HOW TO WRITE IRRESISTIBLE AUTORESPONDER E-MAILS
Now that you have your first reader’s e-mail and name, it’s time to send out e-mails to build a personal relationship with your readers.
But, what is an autorespoender?
They’re a series of emails you write once and set up to send out at pre-set intervals. Sweet!
They work for you whether you’re writing, eating, sleeping, or playing with your pooch. They never get tired, and they never give up.
Cool! But why do you need them? Because e-mails are the cheapest and personal way to communicate with your readers, and the best way to turn them in eager prospect to buy your products.
As you start your blog or business online, you should start to collect emails and set up the first autoresponder e-mail series.
Crafting Autoresponder E-mails
Next, start crafting your first e-mail. It’s good practice to send immediately a welcome email stating what your website is all about, how you can help them and talk briefly about you. Remind them about your free give away, most people don’t read or use what they send for.
A common mistake I see often is online entrepreneurs that talk only about themselves or their products. I understand that entrepreneurs are eager to sell their products, but first, let’s build a relationship. Would you ever ask a person just met “Hey, buy my products”. Awkward situation, right?
The same happen online when someone give you their email. Build trust, a relationship, help your reader to achieve something right now… and later offer your product to solve their problems.
So, now you’re ready to craft your first email but… what to write about? What makes an email irresistible?
Here are some topics that might help you:
- Develop a reputation for elevation; any single email should offer an immediate positive effect on the reader. Your content, your message, needs to serve your reader in some way, even if it simply makes them smile or feel appreciated. Your readers will be excited to open each of your emails.
- Be real; Just think about the email you tend to receive that you’re eager to open. Usually, they are from people who you know, like, love and trust. Those who have a place in your heart as well as your life. While you can’t become the best friend of everybody, still write emails that are friendly and personable, emails that reveal more of you than your services or brand.
- Write sexy subject lines; when it comes to getting your emails opened, your subject line does most of the heavy lifting. What makes a good subject line? You tell me. Just open your inbox and copy all the subject lines of the emails you’ve opened in the last year. If you open the emails, means the subject line grabbed your attention. Usually, short subject lines with a question mark or that create curiosity are performing very well. and some something.
That in a shell what you need to get started. You are awesome, and I know you’re going to blow away your readers with great content. And don’t forget to send me your email at email@example.com
3#. GUEST POST; STEAL AUDIENCE FROM OTHER SITES
I know, stealing from others might not sound good, but if make you feel better, let’s borrow other site’s audience.
Writing guest posts is one of the most profitable things you do to promote your website and products. Not only you can reach a new audience, but also grow your expertise and back-links to your website which are the sweetest thing for your SEO effort.
For these reasons, it’s a great return on investment write guest posts.
How to write an effective guest post
Beside the usual grammar free error, your guest post should:
- be related to your website and products.
- should be written in a way that positions you as an expert in your field.
- Help the reader to achieve something. So, no stories or opinions.
- Be engaging. No one likes boring stuff.
- Include 1 or 2 link back to your website.
To add to the last point, what I love to do is link back to my website landing page trying to catch the information of the new visitors, immediately. There is no shame in asking to join your community. Think about it. The reader enjoy your article enough to click the link to learn more about you, so it’s only natural to get sign up.
But how do you convince other bloggers to let you publish in their platform? Well, you need to hang around where you would like to get published your guest post. By posting helpful comments on their websites, engaging on Facebook and sometime reach out with an email.
Once you guest post few articles, soon other bloggers will reach you offering opportunities to write in their blogs. It’s a rewarding feeling.
So much of your success depends on what you do to attract visitors and do after people visit your website. Around 90% of your sales will come from from the skillful application of these marketing strategies.
Again, I remind you that only a small number of visitors will become customers on their first visit to your website. But when, you’ve a system in place to capture their emails and follow up with an email relationship, that’s when the real selling begins.
Alright, my friends, I hope this post helped you realize the major importance of communicating with your audience, and how to use a system to grow your audience and income.